It’s estimated that 60 percent to 70 percent of processed foods available today in U.S. grocery stores contain some genetically engineered material. The majority of the livestock that Americans consume, with a few exceptions, have been raised on genetically engineered grains. Genetically engineered or genetically modified foods are those altered at the molecular level in ways that do not occur naturally. This means that these plants and animals have had their genetic makeup altered to exhibit traits that are not naturally theirs. These techniques use DNA molecules from different sources, sometimes different species, combining them into one molecule to create …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees