Schizophrenia is a psychiatric illness characterized by disorganized thoughts, delusions and hallucinations. Emotions are also affected. They are exaggerated in some with schizophrenia, but often as not, emotions flatten. Lack of motivation and initiative, so-called poverty of thought, depression and emptiness are common symptoms of the illness. Centuries ago schizophrenia was thought to be caused by demonic possession. Through half of the last century, it was thought to be the result of poor mothering. Although psychological conflicts can exacerbate schizophrenia, the underlying causes of the illness are now known to be abnormalities in the function of the brain. The most …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees