Members of the Douglas County Veterans Forum say the June death of a veteran illustrates why the Roseburg Veterans Affairs Medical Center needs an intensive care unit. Forum President Rick Sciapiti said he was saddened but not surprised Wednesday to learn about the circumstances of the June 25 death of retired Army Sgt. Ray Velez, 61, of Junction City. Velez went into cardiac arrest while in an ambulance en route to Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend in Springfield after suffering complications from a hernia operation at the Roseburg VA, according to a story in The Oregonian newspaper. VA medical …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees