Q: I am trying to cut down on my sugar intake to lose weight. Is it better to do plain old sugar or are products like Stevia and Splenda healthier for me? A: Great question. Let’s start with real sugar. Consumers have been told they eat too much refined sugar. High sugar intake has been linked to the rise in obesity, which in turn leads to hypertension, diabetes, heart disease, cancer and, in some cases, even violent behavior. In 2001, the U.S. Department of Agriculture estimated that Americans consumed 150 pounds of added sugar a year. Apparently that number was …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees