A former First Citizen will challenge incumbent Peter Hainey for Position 3 on the Fair Oaks Rural Fire District Board. Carol Swesso, a former auxiliary volunteer with the district and Sutherlin’s 2006 Woman of the Year, said she wants to bring transparency to the board. Hainey was appointed to the board in August after three members resigned in the face of a recall effort. A principal real estate broker with 35 years business experience, Hainey said he hopes voters will return him to the board so he can improve district finances. Both candidates say they want to ensure taxpayers’ money …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees