WINSTON — “Portrayal” is a word Elliot Lawton will remember for the rest of his life. The 11-year-old Riddle Elementary School student will probably forget the words he got right at this year’s Douglas County Spelling Bee. But it’s the one he misspelled that’s likely to stick with him. He and other students at this year’s bee final had near-perfect recall of words they’ve misspelled in previous bees. For 12-year-old Wesley Kwok Jr. it’s “envisage” that he’ll never again get wrong. The Umpqua Valley Christian School student took 8th place overall. Sitting with his parents following his exit from the …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees