WINSTON — Beginning next month, smoking in municipal parks will be limited to designated areas, an approach the city adopted rather than a complete ban. Each of Winston’s parks — Riverbend, Community and Civic Wayside — will have smoking areas marked with signs and with receptacles for cigarette butts. The new policy will go into effect Jan. 17. “We felt it would be better for everyone to restrict smoking, but not ban it completely,” Mayor Sharon Harrison said. Winston residents who attended several public meetings on the subject and others who weighed in during conversations with Harrison and other members …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees