Douglas County District Attorney Rick Wesenberg said Thursday he will again seek the death penalty for the man who murdered famed Marine flying ace Maj. Gen. Marion Carl. Jesse Fanus was sentenced to death 13 years ago for killing Carl in the war hero’s Glide area home in 1998. A year ago, Marion County Circuit Judge Pam Abernethy upheld Fanus’ aggravated murder conviction but threw out his death sentence. The judge found that Sutherlin attorney Mark Hendershott provided Fanus with ineffective legal representation during the penalty phase of the 1999 trial. Fanus, 33, is scheduled to return to Douglas County …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees