A Myrtle Creek man who raped a 4-year-old girl in 2003 was denied a new trial Tuesday, even though he was required to wear a leg restraint in front of a jury, a practice since declared unconstitutional. Kevin Mitchell Bumgarner, 53, was found guilty of kidnapping, rape, assault and other sex crimes in 2004. He was sentenced to 61 years in prison by Douglas County Circuit Court Judge Ronald Poole. A series of court rulings since his conviction led to the prison sentence being cut in half in August to 30 years. Bumgarner is a prisoner at the Snake River …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees