A former Myrtle Creek police chief who spent most of his law enforcement career in Coos Bay was arrested Tuesday after investigators found child pornography in his Rice Hill home. Leland Dale Benson, 67, was booked into the Douglas County Jail on suspicion of five counts of first-degree encouraging child sex abuse and five counts of second-degree encouraging child sex abuse. He was in custody today in lieu of $750,000 bail. Douglas County sheriff’s deputies assisted the Oregon Department of Justice in serving a search warrant around 7:30 a.m. at Benson’s home in the 200 block of Oakwood Drive, according …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees