Roseburg’s newest cop can’t speak a word, but she can smell what’s in your pockets from 50 feet away. A year after it was created, Roseburg Police Department’s Canine Unit is set to add a third dog, drug-sniffer Dora. She’ll join Helix and Iago, patrol dogs trained to apprehend suspects. She and her partner, Master Officer Travis Dahl, could hit Roseburg’s streets as early as Friday. Police dogs like Dora are used by most major police departments to do jobs their human handlers can’t. With a sense of smell 50 times greater than a person’s, dogs are employed by law …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees