Age 83, of Oakland, Oregon, passed away on Wednesday, February 19, 2014. He was born on October 7, 1930, in Grand Island, NE, to Stanley Tyma and Evelyn Johnson. Don graduated from Grand Island Senior High School in 1949. Having enlisted in the military, he served two years with the Marines. After being discharged, he returned to Grand Island to work both as a meat cutter and truck driver. He married Kathleen Elwood in 1953, his son Stanley was born in 1954 and Steve in 1956. He and his young family moved to the L.A. area in 1960 where he worked for CalCartage Trucking as a driver. The couple added a third son, Scott, in 1958. Don retired from CalCartage after 25 years in 1985. Don married his second wife, Anita, in 1961 and helped raise three stepdaughters. They were married 27 years until her death in 1988. In 1996 he met, Vera Dillin, his third wife on the dance floor. They continued to enjoy Polka dancing marrying on Vera’s birthday in October of that year. The couple lived in Hemet until moving North to Oakland, Oregon in 2004 where Don lived until his death. He was a member of the Marine League where he served in Roseburg with the Honor Guard for several years. He is survived by his wife, Vera Dillin Tyma; sons: Stan, Steve, Scott; sister, Marlice Fulton; and numerous grandchildren. A private interment will be held. Memorial contributions can be to Roseburg Marine League.
Donald Gene Tyma
- Douglas Education Service District’s Leanne Reynolds a leader in human resources
- Former Roseburg timber baron, billionaire and Yellowstone Club founder Tim Blixseth jailed in Montana
- Roseburg teen in serious condition; two other county residents on the mend
- Nigerian women who escaped Boko Haram are living in Canyonville
- Riddle High School receives Oregon Schools Activities Association gift