Passed away on May 20, 2014 in Roseburg, Oregon. He was born to Adolph and Ruth Hammerschmith in Tacoma, WA. He is survived by 10 children: Tom Hammerschmith (Marlene), Linda Karnosh (Jim), Janet Elsemore (Steve), Beatrice Quest, Don Hammerschmith (Debbie), Hans Hammerschmith (April), Patricia Neves (Gary), Ben Hammerschmith (Michele), Gretchen Wilson (Chuck), Marvin Hammerschmith (Becky); 30 grandchildren; 41 great-grandchildren; one great great-grandchild; two sisters: Patricia Wilson (Ed) of Sheridan, OR and Muriel Bate (Merle) of Tacoma, WA. He was preceded in death by his wife, Winifred and son, Richard. After high school, in Yelm, WA, he joined The U.S. Coast Guard-Merchant Marine and served in the South Pacific. He was a resident of Sutherlin since 1957, having moved from Tacoma, WA. While in Sutherlin, he worked for Douglas County Lumber and Basco Logging and his favorite hobbies were hunting and fishing. He was a member of St. Francis Xavier Catholic church and the Roseburg Moose Lodge. A mass will be at St. Francis Xavier on Tuesday, May 27, at 8:30 a.m. Private burial will be at the Veterans National Cemetery in Roseburg. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to American Cancer Society.
Adolph J. 'Duck' Hammerschmith, JR.
- Myrtle Creek man accused of sexual abuse of a 3-month-old girl is sentenced to 60 months in jail
- Subway sandwiches save students from chronic absenteeism
- Family, classmates grapple with loss of Roseburg teens
- Native American mascot ruling is a 'complete and utter surprise' for Roseburg School District
- Two Roseburg teens mourned after drowning accident in South Umpqua