Passed away on May 20, 2014 in Roseburg, Oregon. He was born to Adolph and Ruth Hammerschmith in Tacoma, WA. He is survived by 10 children: Tom Hammerschmith (Marlene), Linda Karnosh (Jim), Janet Elsemore (Steve), Beatrice Quest, Don Hammerschmith (Debbie), Hans Hammerschmith (April), Patricia Neves (Gary), Ben Hammerschmith (Michele), Gretchen Wilson (Chuck), Marvin Hammerschmith (Becky); 30 grandchildren; 41 great-grandchildren; one great great-grandchild; two sisters: Patricia Wilson (Ed) of Sheridan, OR and Muriel Bate (Merle) of Tacoma, WA. He was preceded in death by his wife, Winifred and son, Richard. After high school, in Yelm, WA, he joined The U.S. Coast Guard-Merchant Marine and served in the South Pacific. He was a resident of Sutherlin since 1957, having moved from Tacoma, WA. While in Sutherlin, he worked for Douglas County Lumber and Basco Logging and his favorite hobbies were hunting and fishing. He was a member of St. Francis Xavier Catholic church and the Roseburg Moose Lodge. A mass will be at St. Francis Xavier on Tuesday, May 27, at 8:30 a.m. Private burial will be at the Veterans National Cemetery in Roseburg. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations be made to American Cancer Society.
Adolph J. 'Duck' Hammerschmith, JR.
- UPDATE: Alek Skarlatos' mom reacts to son's third place finish, audience support on 'Dancing with the Stars'
- Police looking for two armed robbers
- Police arrest man believed to have killed girlfriend
- Tri City groups protest proposed dispensary, compare Myrtle Creek to mob boss
- UPDATE: Roseburg hero Alek Skarlatos takes third place on 'Dancing with the Stars' Tuesday on ABC