Age 84, of Sutherlin, Oregon, passed away Saturday, May 17, 2014, at 12:10 a.m. She was born February 22, 1930, in Weiser, Idaho, to Ocie S. and Edith N. (DuPray) Newman. Marie worked for 15 years at Payless Drugstores. She had a pioneering spirit and enjoyed camping, hunting, fishing, gardening, canning, crocheting and quilting. Using these skills she was the quintessential frontier homemaker and grandmother. Nothing was ever fancy, but it was always comfortable and good. She was patient, never quick to anger, and tried to encourage us to enjoy the simple pleasures in life. Marie loved toy poodles, probably because they reflected her easy going nature. Survivors include her sons: Steve (Marilyn) Arzie, Lee (Jan) James, Rick (Glenda) Foshee, Harmon (Camila) Ornbaun and Mark (Melody) James; daughter-in-law, Myo James; 16 grandchildren and 37 great-grandchildren. Marie was preceded in death by her parents; husband, Douglas Fairbanks James; brother, Monta Leroy Newman; sister, Betty May Scaruffi; son, Jimmy L. James; grandson, Nathan Roy Arzie and great-granddaughter, Mia Jean James. A graveside services will be held Saturday, May 24, 2014, at 1:00 p.m. at Cedar Hill Cemetery in Oakland, Oregon. Please visit www.sutherlinchapeloftherosesfh.com to leave the family fond memories and condolences.
MARIE BELLE JAMES
- Roseburg woman nearly hits 1-year-old with hammer
- Missing Myrtle Creek man found dead by Coos County Sheriff's Office
- Ten juveniles cited at weekend house party in Roseburg
- Police log: Woman's Eugene-based 'shrink' attempting to steal her home
- "We're going to have to get this guy" — How a Roseburg man helped subdue a suspected terrorist