Passed away August 20, 2014. He was born June 24, 1923 in Hamlet, North Carolina. His mother was Cary Miller and father was Herschel Bethea. He spent his youth around Dillon, South Carolina on a farm. He served in the Navy during World War II and Korean War finishing his career in the reserves. In the Navy he served his career as a cook and baker. After the Korean War, he married Margaret L. Bethea in Seattle. His wife of 61 years preceded him in death. He, his wife, and son Dennis came to Roseburg in 1956, where he worked at Roseburg Lumber for 30 years as a dryer-tender. He was a member of the Redeemer Christian Fellowship church. His four grandchildren, Abigail, Rachel, Levi, and Adam visited him just before his death. On August 30, 2014 the Dillard-Winston United Methodist Church will host a memorial service for Walter Bethea at 10:00 a.m. The church is located just off highway 99 between Winston and Dillard.
Cyrus (Walter) Bethea
- Myrtle Creek man accused of sexual abuse of a 3-month-old girl is sentenced to 60 months in jail
- Family, classmates grapple with loss of Roseburg teens
- Two Roseburg teens mourned after drowning accident in South Umpqua
- Police log: Caller reports being target of can thrown from vehicle
- Olson retires, Umpqua Community College board looks to transition "as soon as possible'