Passed away August 20, 2014. He was born June 24, 1923 in Hamlet, North Carolina. His mother was Cary Miller and father was Herschel Bethea. He spent his youth around Dillon, South Carolina on a farm. He served in the Navy during World War II and Korean War finishing his career in the reserves. In the Navy he served his career as a cook and baker. After the Korean War, he married Margaret L. Bethea in Seattle. His wife of 61 years preceded him in death. He, his wife, and son Dennis came to Roseburg in 1956, where he worked at Roseburg Lumber for 30 years as a dryer-tender. He was a member of the Redeemer Christian Fellowship church. His four grandchildren, Abigail, Rachel, Levi, and Adam visited him just before his death. On August 30, 2014 the Dillard-Winston United Methodist Church will host a memorial service for Walter Bethea at 10:00 a.m. The church is located just off highway 99 between Winston and Dillard.
Cyrus (Walter) Bethea
- 23 years later, interest in Fish murder hasn't grown cold
- Lynyrd Skynyrd, Martina McBride, Kansas will headline the 2015 Douglas County Fair
- Man accused of causing scene at Roseburg restaurant
- Neighbors: Douglas County dispatcher recognized for ability to remain calm
- Glendale aerial herbicide spray subject of dispute