Of Roseburg, Oregon, passed away on November 19, 2012 surrounded by his family. Bernard was born on November 24, 1923 in Arlington, South Dakota, to Charles and Ella Matthews. Bernard enlisted in the US Navy and served honorably during World War II. He served as a Machinist Mate aboard the USS Diphda. He was very proud of this service to his country. Upon discharge he moved back to South Dakota and married Marjorie Brink. Together they moved to Roseburg where Bernard worked for US Plywood. Bernard loved to serve his fellow veterans spending many hours at the VA Roseburg Medical Center. He was awarded a plaque for over 20,000 hours of service. When Bernard was not spending time with his wife or volunteering he could be found on the golf course. Bernard helped tend to the hut of the Veteran’s Hospital Golf Course. Bernard will be missed by all who loved him. Bernard was survived by his wife Marjorie; his daughter Judy Cullen of Olympia WA.; his son James of Roseburg; as well as three grandsons; five great-grandchildren and his brother Claude of WY. He will be laid to rest at the New National Cemetery in Roseburg, which sits on the old golf course grounds. Arrangements under the direction of Taylor’s Family Chapel.
Bernard Eugene Matthews (Barney)
- Roseburg woman nearly hits 1-year-old with hammer
- Missing Myrtle Creek man found dead by Coos County Sheriff's Office
- Ten juveniles cited at weekend house party in Roseburg
- Police log: Woman's Eugene-based 'shrink' attempting to steal her home
- "We're going to have to get this guy" — How a Roseburg man helped subdue a suspected terrorist