Age 81, of Merlin, OR, passed away Sunday, June 22, 1997, in Grants Pass, OR. Marian was born June 23, 1915 in Portland, OR to Fredrick and Laura May (Olney) Nelson. Marian grew up in and attended school in Roseburg. She was active in school government and held the office of secretary. She graduated from St Francis Hospital School of Nursing in June 1937. She was employed at Queens Hospital in Honolulu, HI in 1942. She was commissioned into the Army Nurse Corp. and stationed in the Mariana Islands. In 1946, on the way back to the mainland for discharge, she disembarked in Hawaii and was discharged at Fort Shafter, Honolulu. Joseph Ballman and Marian were married in 1950 and eventually settled in Merlin, OR. She enjoyed golf, gardening, and the outdoors. She is survived by her husband, Joseph, of Merlin; and sister, Loletta ‘Marie’ Rand of Roseburg. Marian was preceded in death by an infant son, Stephen; her parents; brothers: Wilbert, Jess, Clair, and Robert Nelson; sisters: Minnie Nelson, Cora Reese, Sarah ‘Alice’ Laney, Nettie Chamberlin, and Hattie Horton.
Marian L. (Nelson) Ballman
- Police Log: Intoxicated women cause scene at Riddle store
- Neighbors: Douglas County Jury Coordinator Kimber Bowden shares spunky attitude
- BPA partners with Cow Creek Umpqua Tribe to support Native American domestic-abuse survivors
- Parenting lessons from a viral bullying video | Moms
- Two Myrtle Creek residents rescued from South Umpqua River