Age 86, of Canyonville, Oregon, passed away on Wednesday, February 27, 2013, in Roseburg. He was born on January 10, 1927 in Powers, Oregon. Dit was raised and educated in the Powers area. He served our country in the Navy during World War II and then was in the Army during Korea. He lived most of his life in both Coos and Douglas Counties. Dit spent 40 years working in the logging industry. In his spare time he enjoyed fishing, hunting, crabbing and gold mining. He was preceded in death by his father, William, mother Ora, step-mother Maude, brothers: Warren, Henry, Russell, sisters: Alice Islee, Dorothy Minkler, Genevive Maiden, Vivian Gilbert, and partner of 26 years Wilma Cady. Mr. Gilbert was survived by a daughter, Donna Marie; a sister, Geraldine Center; a partner of 20 years Loretta Fenn; half-brother, Dean; half-sisters: Brenetta McDonald and Burnice Patton; as well as five grandchildren; 17 great-grandchildren; and many nephews and nieces. He will be missed by his family and friends. He will be laid to rest at the Roseburg National Cemetery. Arrangements under the care of Taylor’s Family Chapel.
Dillwyn ‘Dit’ L. Gilbert
- Douglas Education Service District’s Leanne Reynolds a leader in human resources
- Roseburg teen in serious condition; two other county residents on the mend
- Douglas County commissioners table plan to charge fees to dump trash at landfill
- Roseburg woman cited in payroll theft
- Nigerian women who escaped Boko Haram are living in Canyonville