Parakeet dies in house fire

The American Red Cross assisted two people affected by a house fire on Saturday afternoon in Garden Valley that killed a pet parakeet.

The fire broke out around 1 p.m. at a home in the 3000 block of Cleveland Hill Road, west of Roseburg, said Kim Upham, a spokeswoman for the Red Cross.

Upham said the home’s two residents and their dog were unharmed. The Red Cross provided them with counseling and comfort kits, she said.

Stories you may be interested in

The News-Review Updated Apr 4, 2013 12:34PM Published Mar 23, 2013 08:32PM Copyright 2013 The News-Review. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.