Garrett Andrews

Follow Me

Tenmile man gets 7.5 years for attempted murder

A Tenmile man who hit his girlfriend in the head with a baseball bat, wrapped her in plastic and left her for dead on a county road last September was sentenced to 90 months in prison Wednesday in Douglas County Circuit Court.

Marcus Anthony Toler, 49, pleaded no contest to the felonies of attempted murder and kidnapping, and the misdemeanor of assault constituting domestic violence. The latter charge was connected to an earlier attack on another woman.

Restitution to the victims, both former girlfriends, will be assigned once paperwork is filed with the court. Toler also will undergo 36 months of post-prison supervision.

Toler was arrested in May 2012 for kicking an ex-girlfriend in the head during an early-morning argument, according to Deputy District Attorney Jamie Stanton. Toler was held in Douglas County Jail while that case was pending and released more than a month later.

During his time in jail, a different woman stepped in and took care of Toler’s affairs, paying his bills while living at his house, according to a sworn police statement. Toler reportedly later suspected the woman had stolen about $3,000 from him.

At about 3 a.m. on Sept. 19, a logger on his way to work encountered a blood trail leading to a 53-year-old woman in the middle of Reston Road southwest of Roseburg, according to court records. The woman was breathing but unconscious and unresponsive.

She was driven by ambulance to Mercy Medical Center in Roseburg, then flown to Sacred Heart Medical Center at RiverBend in Springfield, where she remained in a coma for several days while investigators tried to learn who she was and how she’d become injured.

“She was not expected to make it,” Deputy District Attorney Shannon Sullivan said in court on Wednesday.

The victim was found to have suffered a skull fracture, brain bleeding and lacerations. Sullivan said the woman experienced “severe” memory loss and has little recollection of the attack.

Prosecutors said several people who know Toler came forward to police and he was questioned. One was a co-worker of Toler’s ex-wife, to whom he reportedly confessed the story days after the incident.

Toler was questioned but denied the story, claiming to have last seen the woman when she packed up her belongings and left his house following an argument.

Police said they recovered a bloody mattress and pillowcases from property belonging to a friend of Toler’s.

Following his arrest in October, Toler claimed innocence until he accepted the plea deal tying the case with the May attack on the other woman described as his girlfriend.

Pending cases accusing Toler of manufacturing marijuana and violating a restraining order — for sending birthday flowers to the first victim while he was in jail — were dropped as part of the plea deal.

Toler has been in prison before, most recently in 2010 following a two-year term for first-degree burglary.

Toler’s attorney, David Hall, told Judge George Ambrosini his client wanted his 15-year-old son present in the courtroom to watch his father accept responsibility for his actions.

Prior to his sentencing, Toler, wearing a hunter orange jumpsuit with “JAIL” on the back, spoke to his son, who was sitting in the audience gallery next to his mother.

“This’ll be my last go-around,” Toler said.

• You can reach reporter Garrett Andrews at 541-957-4218 or by email at

Stories you may be interested in

The News-Review Updated Apr 18, 2013 01:34PM Published Apr 18, 2013 01:27PM Copyright 2013 The News-Review. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.