Was born October 16, 1920. She was 92 years old when she went home to be with the Lord on May 7, 2013. Her name was commonly known by her friends and family as ‘Dottie’. Her mother, Rebecca Verewer, was a widow with six children, and her father, Frank Lahr, who was also a widower with six children. Dorothy was the oldest child on her mother’s side of the family. She married Barney Albert Root on August 1, 1937 of 67 years of marriage. She is survived by brother, Don Lahr of St. Helen’s, OR and sister Alena Thomas of Stayton, OR.; a daughter Mary Smith with twin sons, William and Davis; the granddaughter she raised, Mara Weakley, and only great-grandchild Todd. Dorothy was an extraordinary woman of mind, heart and spirit. She worked at the family owned grocery store, “Barney’s Market” and embroidered shirts for their trophy business. She was the President of the Roseburg Women’s Country Club. She loved golfing, bowling, cooking and spending time with her family and friends. Dottie, Barney, and Mara became members of the Conservative Baptist Church of Tri-City in 1969. Until our chance to see her again, a memorial service will be held on May 18, 2013, at 12:00 p.m. at the Tri-City Baptist Church, located at 158 S.E. Crest Drive, Myrtle Creek, Oregon.
Dorothy Louise Root
- Roseburg man flown to Legacy Emanuel with critical injuries after crash
- Douglas County parks director Gary Groth turns love of forest into lifetime career
- Local Easter egg hunts and family events | Moms
- Man crashes attempting wheelie in Albertsons parking lot
- Woman arrested on felony warrant after parking at Costco after hours