Passed away on Wednesday, August 21, 2013, at the age of 83. She was born on August 25, 1929 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the daughter of James Angell MacLachlan and Mary Jane (Carrier) MacLachlan. She is a graduate of Wellesley College. She lived much of her adult life in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. She received master degrees in psychology and business from the University of Tennessee. Helen owned and operated a tax and financial planning business in Oak Ridge and after retirement she moved to Oregon, to be closer to family and finally settled at Linus Oakes in Roseburg in 2000. She is survived by four sons: Hugh Stelson, of Seaside, OR; Jim Stelson of Roseburg, OR; Fred Stelson of Ann Arbor, Michigan; and Ben Stelson of Roseburg, OR. Helen has 9 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren. She is also survived by her brother, James MacLachlan. Helen was a long- time supporter of National Organization for Women and the Equal Rights Amendment. Locally she supported FISH, Women in Black, and attended the Umpqua Unitarian Universalist Church. A service to celebrate her life will be held on Friday, August 30, 2013 at 2 p.m. in the Community Room at Linus Oakes. Arrangements are under the direction of Taylor’s Family Chapel.
Helen MacLachlan Stelson
- Man arrested on suspicion of assaulting 9-year-old girl
- Douglas County sees 65 percent increase in littering calls since dump fees implemented
- Adult Shop robber bought stun gun day before attack
- Police: Man put woman in 'sleeper hold' and tied her up shortly before woman's death
- UPDATE: Alek Skarlatos' mom reacts to son's third place finish, audience support on 'Dancing with the Stars'