Passed away on Wednesday, August 21, 2013, at the age of 83. She was born on August 25, 1929 in Cambridge, Massachusetts, the daughter of James Angell MacLachlan and Mary Jane (Carrier) MacLachlan. She is a graduate of Wellesley College. She lived much of her adult life in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. She received master degrees in psychology and business from the University of Tennessee. Helen owned and operated a tax and financial planning business in Oak Ridge and after retirement she moved to Oregon, to be closer to family and finally settled at Linus Oakes in Roseburg in 2000. She is survived by four sons: Hugh Stelson, of Seaside, OR; Jim Stelson of Roseburg, OR; Fred Stelson of Ann Arbor, Michigan; and Ben Stelson of Roseburg, OR. Helen has 9 grandchildren and 4 great-grandchildren. She is also survived by her brother, James MacLachlan. Helen was a long- time supporter of National Organization for Women and the Equal Rights Amendment. Locally she supported FISH, Women in Black, and attended the Umpqua Unitarian Universalist Church. A service to celebrate her life will be held on Friday, August 30, 2013 at 2 p.m. in the Community Room at Linus Oakes. Arrangements are under the direction of Taylor’s Family Chapel.
Helen MacLachlan Stelson
- The one thing you don't want to forget this Thanksgiving | Moms
- Community support pours in for Roseburg woman with brain tumor
- Rivalry fuels Douglas High School food drive in Winston
- Woman flips pickup onto Roseburg Country Club field
- Fremont middle school teacher Jim Walker is classroom life coach, Crystal Apple winner