Beloved husband, father, grandfather, brother and uncle, age 66, passed away on Friday, October 11, 2013 at The Roseburg VAMC. He was born December 5, 1946 in McMinnville, Oregon, to William and Gertrude Simmons (Howard). Willie served his country in Vietnam from 67 to 69, In the U.S. Army - 82nd Airborne Unit. He earned many awards and medals during his tour of duty. Willie was a logger for 25 years at Huffman and Wright. He enjoyed spending his time in the woods, at the coast, fishing and camping. Willie loved to go gambling at the Seven Feather Casino. He really enjoyed volunteering his time, he volunteered 10 years with Roseburg VA driving the DAV van many miles, and the VFW coffee trailer for several years. He is survived by his wife, Jan of 29 years; his son, Brian (Brandy) and four grandchildren; his sister, Trudy (Ross) Coleman and their four children: Andrew, Branden, Amanda and Zachary; two step children, Wesley Johnson and Lynette Raymond; four step grandchildren: Marlys Ness; (great-grandson, Jesse Kennedy); Brandy Collins; Cody Johnson and Rhett Johnson. He is preceded in death by his parents; grandparents; two brothers; one niece; father-in-law; and several uncle and aunts. A funeral service will be held at the Roseburg National Cemetery on Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 2 p.m. Donations may be made to the VFW wall.
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees