In business planning, career planning and life planning it is advantageous to look back at where you have been to get inspired about where you are headed.
This time of year is perfect to look back over your accomplishments during the last 12 months. As you look back and relive your achievements, discoveries and breakthroughs, you can’t help but to feel a little lighter, see a little further and beam a little brighter. As you step onto your proverbial mountaintop, you will be able to see new horizons for yourself that you otherwise would not have been able to see. From this vista point is exactly where you want to plan your next year.
Here are some great questions to provoke your brilliance and help you ascend to your mountaintop.
1. What was your biggest triumph?
2. What else are you most happy about having completed or achieved?
3. What was the single best decision you made?
4. What was the biggest risk you took?
5. How did you contribute to your community?
6. What habits did you change that are making a difference in your life?
7. What relationships did you develop or deepen that have made your life richer?
8. What adversities did you overcome?
9. What did you finally let go of that will now free you up?
10. What did you do to improve your health and well being?
11. What books, movies and music did you experience that has had an impact on you?
12. What events did you attend that you learned something new to help you grow?
13. Where did you travel and what did you learn?
14. How did you take more control of your financial situation to take care of your future self?
15. What is the most important lesson you learned during your journey this past year?
16. What did you learn about yourself that inspires you?
17. What else do you need to acknowledge about this past year to be complete and move into the new year?
18. What one word best sums up and describes your 2012 experience?
19. What advice do you want to give yourself for the new year?
20. What do you want your biggest triumph to be this coming year?
Having traveled through these 20 questions what came up for you? How does that feel? What do you notice about yourself right now? Notice what you now believe is possible for you this coming year as you think from this place. Write it all down. Step into it and live it throughout the new year.
Make it up, make it fun, and make it happen!
Bestselling author Machen P. MacDonald is a certified life and business coach with ProBrilliance Leadership Institute in Grass Valley, Calif. He can be reached at email@example.com and 530-273-8000.