Back to: Opinion
April 5, 2013
Follow Opinion

Grease fire displaces Roseburg family; three injured

A Roseburg family was displaced by a stove top grease fire Thursday night, nearly a year ago to the day after a closet fire displaced the same family from the same house at 866 N.E. Nash St., officials said.

Two people were taken to Mercy Medical Center and one other was injured, according to the Roseburg Fire Department, which declined to identify the patients or describe their injuries.

At least two children, a boy and a girl, live in the house, according to neighbors. No one was at the house this morning.

Thursday’s fire began in an unattended cooking pan, Fire Marshal Tony DiMare said.

Before calling 911 at 9:51 p.m., residents of the house tried to extinguish the fire with water, which is not the right way to put out a grease fire, DiMare said.

“It actually caused it to flare up,” he said.

Damage to the house was estimated at $6,000.

The house is at the corner of Nash Street and Beulah Drive, across from Beulah Park in west Roseburg. The Douglas County Assessor’s Office lists the value of the three-bedroom, two-bathroom house and the land it’s on at $112,928.

Children playing with matches in a bedroom closet caused a fire in the same house April 3, 2012, according to fire officials.

Neighbors said the 2012 blaze was much larger than Thursday’s fire and that the family had only recently moved back in.

• You can reach reporter Garrett Andrews at 541-957-4218 or by email at gandrews@nrtoday.com.


Explore Related Articles

The News-Review Updated Apr 5, 2013 01:44PM Published Apr 5, 2013 01:36PM Copyright 2013 The News-Review. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.