Garrett Andrews

Follow Me

Back to: Ticker
December 18, 2012
Follow Ticker

Gunman exchanges fire with police before surrendering

Eyewitnesses to a shootout at a motor inn on Northeast Stephens Street in Roseburg on Monday afternoon described a tense scene, confusion and bravery under pressure.

The four-hour standoff ended with Jonathan Lackey, 23, whom police describe as a transient, surrendering to police and being taken into custody.

At just after 3 p.m., detectives with the Douglas County Major Crimes Team attempted to contact Lackey at his room at the Casa Loma Motel, 1107 N.E. Stephens St. At first he didn’t answer the door. When he did emerge, he fired a handgun at detectives, according to Roseburg police Sgt. Jeff Eichenbusch.

After a brief exchange of gunfire, Lackey retreated inside room No. 2, just off the five-lane street. He then broke out a back window and fired more rounds outside.

A call of “shots fired” went out over the police scanner and law enforcement was mustered from across the region. Stephens Street was blocked off from Winchester Street north to Garden Valley Boulevard.

Several businesses in the area were locked down.

Little Caesar’s Day Manager David Coe said his store was getting ready for the dinner rush when police entered the store and hustled everyone to nearby Bob’s Quick Stop, where the door was locked and the shades were drawn. Coe said the store had to toss 165 pounds of dough as a result of the evening closure.

E.D. Dirksen & Sons employee David Goodwin was pumping gas for a customer when he heard three or four pops.

“It sounded like a car backfiring, then all hell broke loose,” Goodwin said. “There was cops coming in from every direction.”

Goodwin estimated between 20 and 30 rounds were fired in the initial exchange. The smell of gunpowder reached him and other Dirksen’s employees hiding out in their store across the street.

Eyewitness Mary Jenkins said she watched from her bathroom window as Lackey fired seven shots at officers hiding behind a large metal trash container.

“He looked pissed off,” Jenkins said.

At about 7 p.m., after several hours of negotiations, Lackey surrendered. Employees at Kuebler’s Furniture, across the street from Casa Loma, said Lackey, wearing white, came out of the room with his hands above his head and went to his knees in the middle of Stephens Street, where he was taken into custody.

Lackey was treated at the scene for a minor hand injury. No other injuries were reported.

He was booked by Oregon State Police on suspicion of attempted aggravated murder, attempted first-degree assault, unlawful use of a weapon and three misdemeanor charges.

Kuebler’s manager Diana Forbes praised the response of local law enforcement, who had the street shut down just minutes after the first shots were fired.

“They did such a good job keeping everyone calm,” she said. “But I don’t care to go through that again.”

Northeast Grandview Drive resident Brytni Vidaurri, whose house overlooks Casa Loma, said the recent Newtown, Conn., school shooting was on her mind when she left work early to drive her two young children “way out of town.”

“Unfortunately, I’ve just seen this so many times,” she said.

Police have not said why detectives went to talk to Lackey at the Casa Loma.

He was in custody today in the Douglas County Jail in lieu of $2.44 million.

• You can reach reporter Garrett Andrews at 541-957-4218 or by email at

Stories you may be interested in

Trending in: Ticker

The News-Review Updated Mar 20, 2013 05:49PM Published Jan 24, 2013 01:38PM Copyright 2013 The News-Review. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.