In 2012, the Southern Oregon Wine Institute moved into the Lang Center on the Umpqua Community College campus, schools in Roseburg and Oakland suffered norovirus outbreaks and disgruntled residents ousted the boards of three fire districts. None of those stories, however, was among the top stories of the year as voted on by The News-Review staff. It was a newsy year. Here are the top 10 stories: 1. Federal payments extended; forest plan languishes The year’s top story involves familiar themes: funding for public services and management of federal forests. The stakes are high for every Douglas County resident. The …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees