WINSTON — Hodari, a 15-year-old Somali giraffe at Wildlife Safari, was euthanized Tuesday morning after staff members couldn’t get the suffering animal to stand. “It was a difficult day yesterday, but we did our best to get him back on his feet,” the animal park’s curator, Dan Brands, said Wednesday. “He got in a position he couldn’t get back up from.” A necropsy will be conducted to learn the cause of death. “We’ll send tissue samples to pathology, but won’t have a clear picture for at least a month,” Brands said. Brands said giraffes usually lie down only six to …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees