WINCHESTER — Warm spring weather may have inspired Kalista Bocurt to write a poem about summer vacation. The Winchester Elementary School third-grader penned a haiku describing a leisurely summer morning. I lay on my bed Hanging off my bed sleepy I am so lazy Kalista, 8, was among about 50 Winchester Elementary students who attended an after-school poetry workshop Tuesday. The students learned about and wrote various types of poems as they rotated through stations manned by teachers and Douglas County poets who volunteered to teach their craft to the youngsters. The workshop was preparation for a student poetry slam …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees