A transient man based in Roseburg drowned in the South Umpqua River on Friday afternoon, Roseburg police said today. Paul Gene Carroll Jr., 43, drowned around 4:50 p.m. at the Templin Beach boat ramp, about 16 hours after being released from jail, according to police. Roseburg police responded to a possible medical aid call Friday near the Templin Beach boat ramp at the corner of Templin and Arizona streets. Police said witnesses reported seeing Carroll come out of the bushes and fall into the river. Witnesses said Carroll was sitting upright in the water, but when they looked over several …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees