The News-Review is the daily newspaper for Douglas County, a county larger than the state of Connecticut. The county stretches from the Pacific Ocean at Reedsport very nearly to Crater Lake National Park in the Cascade Mountains. It has been called the timber capital of the world due to its vast tracts of Douglas fir and its logging industry. That has also made it the focus of environmental interest. While the timber industry has declined during the past 25 years, timber remains the principal source of income and employment. The area is diversifying with wineries and small manufacturing.
The News-Review is part of Lotus Media Group, a family-owned, locally owned and media company. It’s community oriented newspaper and online website are market-leading providers of breaking news, investigative exposes, and opinion. The News-Review is among the oldest businesses in the state of Oregon, but has been an early adopter of technology including an early word processing system. The newspaper's website, now nrtoday.com was the first newspaper to go online in Oregon. The newspaper is regularly recognized for editorial, advertising, and printing excellence in state and regional competitions.
The News-Review publishes Tuesday through Sunday.
History of The News-Review
The Roseburg Ensign, the original predecessor The News-Review, was first published on April 30, 1867, and has published continuously for more than 145 years, except for a brief period in the 1870s after a fire in the newspaper building. The name was changed several times in the 1870s and 1880s. The Roseburg Ensign became the Pantagraph in 1872, and then the Douglas Independent in 1881. In 1887 the newspaper was sold to J.R.N. Bell, who renamed it the Roseburg Review and converted it from a weekly to a daily newspaper on May 9, 1888. A second newspaper, The Plaindealer, was founded in Roseburg in 1870, and it became the Umpqua Valley News in 1905. In 1920, the Umpqua Valley News and Roseburg Review were combined to form The News-Review.
The Ensign was founded by Thomas and Henry Gale. William Thompson was publisher and owner of the Plaindealer. They were bitter rivals in the early 1870s, partly because of political differences and mostly because they were all hot-tempered. After a nasty exchange in print in June 1871, the Gales attacked Thompson in downtown Roseburg, and a shoot-out ensued. All were wounded, but none killed. Frank Jenkins bought the merged newspapers in 1930. Jenkins held The News-Review and Klamath Falls newspapers until 1960, when he sold to Scripps League.
In 1975, Phil Swift acquired The News-Review when the Scripps League broke up. In 1980, The News-Review added a Sunday edition, bringing the paper to the 6 day-a-week publication. In June of 2014, the paper added a Saturday paper and discontinued its Monday edition, the printing schedule that exits today.
Forty years later, in September of 2015, the paper again fell into local hands when it was purchased by Roseburg businessman Patrick Markham. In the first few months of ownership, the print edition underwent a design change and the online website was completely redone.