WINCHESTER — Saturday’s forgettable first half was puzzling to most of those associated with the Umpqua Community College women’s basketball team. The seventh-ranked Riverhawks dug themselves a 22-point deficit during the opening 20 minutes and never recovered in a 62-54 loss to Chemeketa of Salem in the Northwest Athletic Association of Community Colleges Southern Region opener for both clubs. The Storm (8-6, 1-0) played more inspired and it cost the Riverhawks (10-4, 0-1), who trailed 39-17 at the break. Umpqua cut the margin to eight by game’s end, but it was too little, too late. How bad was the first …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees