Shumway earns Eagle Scout Matthew Shumway, 17-year-old son of Marty Warner and Butch Shumway of Roseburg, was honored March 9 for achieving the rank of Eagle, the highest award earned in Boy Scouts. A Court of Honor was held for Matthew at the First United Methodist Church in Roseburg, where his eagle was presented by Scoutmaster Tom Leech of Troop 114. One of the qualifications for an Eagle Scout is to earn a minimum of 21 merit badges. Matthew has earned 28 merit badges, as well as spending more than 130 nights of camping and holding seven different leadership positions. …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees