It’s always enjoyable for a history buff such as myself to look back at Roseburg’s proud moments in American Legion baseball. Guided by Bill Harper, the summer program — which brings players from around Douglas County together for two-plus months — had an outstanding eight-year run from 1956-63. Known then as Lockwood Motors, Roseburg won five state championships, three regional titles and advanced to the Legion World Series three times during that span. Ten players, two batboys and an assistant coach from the ’63 World Series squad that won 51 games and lost 12 gathered in Roseburg on June 29 …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees