The arrest this week of a former Myrtle Creek police chief on child pornography charges capped an online investigation by a state task force, according to court records. Leland Dale Benson, 67, of Rice Hill was released without bail from the Douglas County Jail on Wednesday after being arraigned on five counts of first-degree encouraging child sex abuse and five counts of second-degree encouraging child sex abuse. Benson, a former Myrtle Creek police chief, was arrested at his home Tuesday after investigators served a search warrant at his residence in the 200 block of Oakwood Drive. Investigators found at least …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees