CORVALLIS – Spectacular touchdown plays started and concluded the Oregon State football team’s Spring Game on Saturday on a sunny day at Reser Stadium.
Junior tailback Ryan Nall kicked off the 100-play workout by gunning a 60-yard scoring pass to senior Hunter Jarmon on a brilliantly executed option play. Redshirt sophomore tight end Tuli Wily-Matugi closed it with a diving catch of a 2-yard pass from senior Darell Garretson in the back of the end zone for the final score.
The Defense edged the Offense 72-69, using a modified scoring system that rewarded touchdowns, 20-yard gains, interceptions, defensive stops and various other categories.
“I asked the guys to compete at a high level like it was an aggressive spring practice, and they did,” OSU coach Gary Andersen said. “They handled the thud part of it very well, in fact so well we went longer than we were going to.
“These kids practice a lot against each other and it is very worthwhile film to be provided with. I think they will go back and study the tape.”
Garretson and redshirt juniors Marcus McMaryion and Jake Luton shared the bulk of the quarterbacking duties and each had outstanding moments.
· Garretson complemented his closing TD pass to Wily-Matugi with a 13-yard TD strike to redshirt freshman wideout Connor Laverty. He was 8 of 11 for 66 yards.
· McMaryion hooked up with Jarmon on a 68-yard scoring strike. He was 9 of 14 for 126 yards.
· Luton hit senior wide receiver Jordan Villamin with a 6-yard scoring pass. He was 13 of 21 for 118 yards.
“It is awesome to have quarterbacks who can manage the game,” Andersen said. “I truly believe we have three quarterbacks who can manage a football game in the Pac-12.”
In addition to throwing for a score, Nall added a 37-yard touchdown run and gained 72 yards on seven carries. Sophomore Artavis Pierce gained 28 yards on seven carries.
Jarmon had five receptions for 155 yards and two touchdowns. Hodgins had four catches for 69 yards as those to receivers combined for 224 of the offense’s 399 total passing yards.
Other big plays were:
· A 39-yard gain on a fly sweep by senior wide receiver Xavier Hawkins.
· A 37-yard reception by freshman receiver Isaiah Hodgins on a crossing pattern from Luton.
· A 21-yard catch by redshirt junior tight end Quinn Smith on a pass from redshirt freshman quarterback Mason Moran.
Redshirt freshman cornerback Jaydon Grant and senior linebacker Wesley Payne had interceptions for the defense. Grant also had two picks in a March 11 scrimmage
The Beavers open the 2017 season at Colorado State on Aug. 26.