Evening planets Mars speeds between Saturn and Spica. Look to the west-southwest as the sky darkens this month to spy Mars rapidly moving westward toward Saturn and Spica. On Aug. 8, the trio will form a nearly equilateral triangle with Mars on the right. Both planets and star will fit within a 4-degree circle. By Aug. 13, Mars will be nearly aligned between Saturn and Spica. A couple of nights later, Mars will have moved a few degrees to the left of both of them. A young crescent moon joins the trio on Aug. 21, making a grand sight. By …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees