Editor’s note: Steve Bowers has a question-and-answer column, “Tips From the Treeman,” in his newsletter for Oregon State University Forestry Extension. The following is taken from that column. Dear Treeman, Being this is the holiday season, I’m wondering: Why does Santa use reindeer, when it is actually caribou that inhabit the Arctic region, Santa’s home? Michael Dear Mike, You had me there for a minute. In our region, domesticated caribou are called reindeer. In Europe and Asia, the term caribou is not used, as all animals, wild or domesticated, are called reindeer. Originally, these animals ranged from Scandinavia, throughout European …
Extension Spotlight: Is Rudolph a reindeer or a caribou?
- Death Notices for May 23, 2013
- Arts & Entertainment: Roseburg band Hemlock Lane seeks path to success
- Roseburg report stopping driver speeding at more than 100 mph, find marijuana
- California teenager in critical condition after highway crash near Myrtle Creek
- Anne Creighton Blodgett: I ditched sugar (to lose that baby weight!)