Eight years of jail was enough for Dave Maley, who was a corrections officer at the 5,000-inmate Santa Clara County Jail in San Jose. He wanted out and to get back to his home state of Oregon. He graduated from Crook County High School in Prineville in 1982 and from the University of Oregon 1987. The job market was tight in the mid-1990s, so he contacted Gerald Upshaw, a friend who owned three pawn shops in Eugene. The two discussed opportunities and decided to be partners in a new business in Roseburg. Another friend, who was a real estate agent …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees