Opinions were shared and sometimes shouted across a packed room Tuesday evening at the Douglas County Museum, where panelists and others talked about timber harvests in Western Oregon. The conservation groups organized the forum, which focused on a plan championed by U.S. Rep. Peter DeFazio to increase timber harvests on Oregon and California Railroad trust lands. The legislation, co-authored by DeFazio and Oregon Reps. Greg Walden and Kurt Schrader, has passed the House and been sent to the Senate. The bill proposed to transfer about 1.5 million acres from federal to state oversight. Another 1.2 million acres would be put …
- Sutherlin resident and Pearl Harbor survivor recalls infamous day; local remembrance ceremony cancelled
- Publisher’s Notebook: Isn’t it better to do or sell something than to beg?
- Crafters brave snow, ice to attend annual Douglas County Christmas Craft Fair
- Roseburg hunter tags record whitetail buck
- Branch out from the usual Christmas trees