Winchester

Umpqua Astronomer’s meeting postponed

The Umpqua Astronomer’s March meeting has been moved to 7 p.m., Tuesday, Mar. 19 at U.C.C. Wayne Crooch Hall Room 10. Club news, monthly sky events and astronomy news will be presented. Spring star gazing will be discussed. Everyone interested in astronomy is welcome.

Information: umpquaastronomers.org or 541-673-1081.

WINCHESTER BAY

Umpqua lighthouse museum extends hours

The Umpqua River Lighthouse Museum and Gift Shop has extended its hours of operation. The museum will now be open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m., with the last lighthouse tour each day starting at 6 p.m.

Inside the museum are hundreds of documents, photographs and artifacts that illustrate the story of the Umpqua River Lighthouse from its early existence as a lifesaving station to the U.S. Coast Guard station that sits on the same site today.

The museum, located at 1020 Lighthouse Road in Winchester Bay, is housed in the former Coast Guard barracks built in 1939 adjacent to the lighthouse. Lighthouse tours are given by docents year-round, and the gift shop offers nautical-themed gifts and souvenirs.

More information is available online at umpquavalleymuseums.org.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Community Reporter

Erica Welch is the special sections editor for The News-Review, mother of two and a native of Roseburg. She is an alumni of Roseburg High School, UCC and Western Oregon University. Contact her at ewelch@nrtoday.com or 541-957-4218.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.