MELROSE — Once they crossed over the threshold of Riversdale Academy, third and fourth graders from Camas Valley found themselves transported back to 1867.
Schoolmarm Miss Barry, played by Patricia Duerfeldt, wore traditional attire as she taught the students Thursday morning.
The building has no electricity, but a pot belly stove in the front of the classroom kept the students and teacher comfortable.
Third grader Raelynn Cooley dressed up in traditional attire, including a bonnet. The garb came from her aunt’s best friend, who let her wear a dress for the occasion.
“I thought it’d be fun to wear today, and she agreed to let me wear it,” Raelynn said. She really enjoyed the multiplication and learning to write with a quill.
Miss Barry stumped most of the students when she asked how many socks do you have to knit if you make two pairs for four friends? Students answered eight or six, before a student in the front row gave 16 as the correct answer.
Class began with the flag salute, because the Pledge of Allegiance wasn’t written until 1892, and students learned about President Andrew Johnson and how President Abraham Lincoln who was shot just two years earlier in 1865.
Girls were seated on the left side of the classroom, while the boys took their seats on the right.
Students tried to write in a journal with their own quill pens with varying degrees of success, as Miss Barry also pointed out that the U.S. Constitution, Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence were all written with a quill pen.
At the end of the lesson, students got to ask Miss Barry questions about school in 1867.
Daniel Simmons, third grade, asked to see the lashing stick.
Miss Barry read out some of the things students could receive lashings for, including boys and girls intermingling, having long fingernails and climbing up a tree.
She then brought Daniel to the front of the classroom to tell him that he’d be receiving three lashings.
Miss Barry raised the lashing stick as Daniel held out his hand, but just barely tapped his palm. She then showed the other places students could receive lashings; knuckles, legs and butt.
“It was awesome,” Daniel said afterward. “History is awesome. It’s cool because we get to do stuff they did back then.”
When he observed News-Review photographer Michael Sullivan taking pictures in the classroom, another student asked Miss Barry if cameras were around in 1867.
“Michael is from the future,” she answered.
Class came to an end. The girls curtsied and the boys bowed to Miss Barry, and then left to come back to 2019.
Court documents in the case of Kevin Wayne Adams, accused of killing three members of his family, will be filed confidentially, as the case may move to juvenile court.
Senate Bill 1008, which went into effect Sept. 29, would transfer this case to juvenile court unless the State of Oregon files a waiver motion.
Juvenile cases are handled confidentially and Douglas County Circuit Court Judge Kathleen Johnson asked all parties to file all of their motions confidentially.
Kevin Adams was charged with eight counts of aggravated murder in November 2017. He told police he shot the victims multiple times after his foster father, Robert Adams, left the house, around 6:30 p.m.
Robert Adams dialed 911 to report the deaths at his Lookingglass address just before 8:45 p.m. on Nov. 8, 2017. He had just returned home when his foster son, Kevin Adams, told him to call the police but not to go inside the home.
Robert Adams entered the home and found his wife, 55-year-old Donya Adams, his daughter, 26-year-old Amory Adams, and his foster daughter, 10-year-old Payshience “Tia” Adams, dead inside. He also noted his handgun was on the bed, which is not where he kept it.
Deputies from the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office responded and the Douglas County Major Crimes Team was activated as well. The team consists of detectives and investigators from the sheriff’s office, the Roseburg Police Department, the Oregon State Police and the Douglas County District Attorney’s Office.
Kevin Adams is represented by attorneys Katherine Berger, Lynne Morgan and Laurie Bender.
Berger filed for an extension to file motions until after the case moved into the juvenile court system. Instead, all motions in the case will be filed confidentially because of the new law, but the motions remain due by the original Nov. 1 deadline.
Johnson pointed out that Douglas County does not have a dedicated adult court and juvenile court and the whole case could move over.
“The only thing that changes is the charging document,” Johnson said. “This may very well be the only case that has to be transferred in Douglas County.”
She added that at the moment of transfer, the case would be treated as a juvenile court case.
Adams’ case would end up in juvenile court, unless the state holds a waiver hearing and the court waives juvenile court jurisdiction.
Douglas County Deputy District Attorney Steve Hoddle said he needed more time to read the senate bill before deciding whether to file a waiver hearing. He was given until Jan. 15, 2020, to file the appropriate paperwork.
A hearing on the matter was tentatively scheduled for four days starting Feb. 18, 2020.
Morgan filed a motion to amend the aggravated murder charges to murder in the first degree.
During its last legislative session, Gov. Kate Brown signed Senate Bill 1013 into law which redefines the crime of aggravated murder.
Johnson inquired if Adams’ attorneys had reached out to the district attorney’s office about the motions filed.
“I’m not getting anything from the state other than they haven’t read the law,” Berger said.
Morgan said she had not been in contact with the district attorney’s office regarding her motion.
Johnson strongly encouraged all parties to communicate with each other and act in a timely manner.
It’s not the first time in this case Johnson has expressed her concern about the rate of speed in the case.
A month after Adams was arraigned, she wrote a letter to the attorneys in the case asking for an indictment.
“I am aware that it is not uncommon for the parties to agree to postpone taking the case to grand jury, but given the age of the defendant and the severity of this case, I do not feel it appropriate for the court to just do nothing for an unspecified period of time while waiting for an indictment to be filed,” she wrote.
The indictment was filed on Jan. 17, 2018. A jury trial has been set for May 5, 2020.
An alliance of health leaders and providers hope a first-of-its-kind e-cigarette quit program will help convince young people in Douglas County to quit vaping.
“This is Quitting” is a free text messaging program from Truth Initiative created in the wake of the surgeon general declaring a youth e-cigarette epidemic in 2018.
Starting Oct. 1, Douglas Public Health Network, Blue Zones Project, and CHI Mercy Health joined with Truth Initiative to bring “This is Quitting” to Douglas County.
The text messaging program incorporates messages from other young people like them who have attempted to, or successfully quit, e-cigarettes. It is tailored for various age groups and provides resources for parents.
Christin Rutledge, program manager for DPHN, said the goal for all the groups involved was to provide tangible help for the youth in the county.
“Instead of saying please don’t vape, we wanted something that if they wanted to stop, that we could help them, so that’s where this program came in,” Rutledge said.
“This is Quitting” can provide anyone texting the number with weekly text messages about the program.
“What’s really great about the program is youth were involved in creating it and deciding the messages they should get back or how often they should get messages,” Rutledge said.
For those who set a quit date, the program offers regular support for participants. If they choose not to set a date, they will still get messages to help them build up the confidence and self-esteem to get to the point where they can quit. Users can receive on-demand support for cravings, stress, and slips in addition to their scheduled interactive messages.
Douglas County public health officials agree that e-cigarette use among youth, also known as vaping, is a major concern in the county as well as a national epidemic.
According to the 2017 Oregon Healthy Teens Survey, 9% of eighth graders and 12% of eleventh graders in Douglas County currently use e-cigarettes. For 11th graders, the figure was higher than the percentage using traditional tobacco cigarettes.
Health officials said the messages help young people feel motivated, inspired and supported throughout their quitting process. Since the program was released in January 2019, more than 54,000 young people have enrolled nationwide.
Officials say the resource is particularly important for teens and young adults, for whom nicotine is especially dangerous.
To enroll in the program, text “VAPEFREEDC” to 88709.
Flyers and palm cards with the text code and number will be distributed to schools and other community partners across Douglas County. For information about the program go to the website at https://truthinitiative.org/thisisquitting, email Bailey Burkhalter at Bailey@DouglasPublicHealthNetwork or 541-464-3855.