For the usual day out with the family, the unexpected will just creep right up on you. You forgot the cash for parking, one of the kids fell in the lake, and all the water bottles are at home (filled with ice, of course) on the kitchen counter.
Who planned this trip? Well, we all forget things in the rush and bustle to get out the door. So here is you super checklist of all the essentials for a general day out. You won’t be caught unprepared next time. Note that special outings will need extra equipment.
BEFORE YOU GO
- Check the weather
- Look up any fees for parking or entrance. There is a parking fee at all Douglas County Parks. You can purchase a daily pass or an annual pass. These can be purchased at the park or online. http://www.co.douglas.or.us/parks/permits.asp
- Stop for cash if needed for fees
- Write down or print driving directions
- Print a map of the area. Caltopo.com is a great resource.
- Check that everyone is wearing proper trip attire
- Fill up the car with gas
WHAT TO PACK:
- Bug spray
- Extra clothes
- First Aid it
- Wet wipes
- Seasonal wear: hats, gloves, coats, rain gear, umbrella, snow gear, swim wear
WHEN YOU GET HOME
- Check for ticks. Look at https://www.cdc.gov/ for tick information including how to check for them
- Wash yourself and clothes for poison oak. You can use a product like Technu, but Dawn dish soap works well, too