Happy New Year, everybody!
Many of us have a family member or know a friend in one of the many assisted living and nursing facilities or residential care homes in the county. These places need to be monitored and the residents’ complaints need to be addressed. The statewide Long-term Care Ombudsman Program does that with volunteers who visit the institutions regularly, make sure complaints are investigated and resolved and advocate for improvement in the residents care.
Volunteers are urgently needed and are invited to the training session offered on Feb. 18-20 and again on March 4-5. If this opportunity touches your heart visit the website www.oltoco.org or call 800-522-2602 for more information.
St. Vincent de Paul in Sutherlin needs:
- Able-bodied volunteers Saturday 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. to help move furniture donations or deliver them to those in need
- Laundry helpers to get donations ready for sale. Call Rodney at 541-459-3394 for more information.
Salvation Army needs helpers for the pantry. For information about days, times and location call Katrina at 541-248-2587.
We all loved sleepovers as kids. Now Saving Grace is letting puppies have the same experience with their Pajama Pups Program. Volunteers take a puppy home for at least a two-night sleepover. Pick up is Saturday and return is before Tuesday at noon. Sounds like fun all around. Sign up at www.savinggrace.info.
Volunteers are also needed Monday–Saturday, 9 a.m. to noon to help clean and feed animals before the shelter opens to the public. Call Trina at 541-672-3907, ext. 111 for more information.
Mercy Medical Center has openings for:
- Patient relations volunteers to identify situations needing nursing intercession and assist with discharge duties
Nursing support services volunteers to provide non-nursing patient care and clerical help
- Courtesy escorts to help with registration, taking patients to destinations and wheeling discharged patients to their car.
Michelle has details at 541-677-4465.
Douglas County Services Meal Program has urgent need of volunteers to:
Deliver hot meals to shut-ins on Tuesday and Thursday, 10 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at Winston, Glide, Sutherlin, Yoncalla, Glendale and Reedsport dining sites. Meal deliveries are made in volunteer’s car with reimbursement for mileage
- Several kitchen helpers are needed Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Winston, Glide, Sutherlin, Glendale and Yoncalla.
- Yoncalla is also looking for a desk register helper.
Call the Senior Services office at 541-440-3677.
Courthouse Information booth still needs four volunteer greeters, week days and times are flexible. Call Senior Services at 541-440-3677.