A Roseburg man was arrested Wednesday after attempting to flee from deputies, making a false 911 call and colliding head-on with a patrol vehicle in Oakland, according to police.

Nathan Richard Leitz was driving a white Volkswagon Jetta, with the front right headlight and back left taillight both out, on Interstate 5 near Curtin around 9:30 p.m. Wednesday.

The 38-year-old got off at the Curtin exit and then “suspiciously got back on I-5 and proceeded southbound,” according to court documents.

Deputies attempted to pull him over and Leitz drove for two miles with the car’s right blinker on and then stopped at milepost 160. As the deputies exited their vehicle, dispatch received a report of a shooting in the area.

Deputy Tyler Fugate yelled at Leitz to turn off the car, but instead, Leitz drove away, according to court documents.

Deputies chased Leitz along the highway as he was weaving in and out of traffic at more than 100 mph, according to court document.

Leitz took the exit for Oakland and headed toward the high school, driving toward the back of the school, which leads to a dead end.

As Fugate turned the corner, Leitz had turned his car around and drove toward Fugate with his headlights off, according to court documents.

Leitz hit Fugate’s patrol car head-on which caused Leitz’s airbags to deploy.

Two occupants — Leitz and another man, later identified as 30-year-old Michael Baker-Guererro — fled from the crash. After a short foot pursuit, Leitz gave up. Deputies chose not to chase Baker-Guererro, who was already 150 feet away and heading northbound. A K9 unit was unsuccessful in tracking Baker-Guererro.

The other passenger, 36-year-old Raven Marcotti, was arrested outside of the car.

When deputies asked for the name of the male passenger, Leitz initially lied and told police his name was Aaron Baker. He later told police he lied because it was his instinct as a felon.

While investigating the reported shooting in the area, deputies noticed that the 911 call came from Baker-Guererro’s phone and was an attempt to divert law enforcement. Shortly after that call, another call came in about a stabbing that was traced to Leitz’s phone, according to court documents.

After searching Leitz’s car, deputies found methamphetamine and a heroin-filled syringe.

When asked about the drugs, Leitz told deputies that he uses heroin every day, twice a day and last used the drug that morning, according to court documents.

Marcotti was taken to CHI Mercy Medical Center. She told deputies that she begged Leitz to stop the car and that she was scared when he was driving fast. She said both Leitz and Baker-Guererro made the 911 calls to get deputies to stop pursuing them.

Leitz was charged with two counts of second-degree attempted assault, two counts of attempting to a elude a police officer, fourth-degree assault, improper use of an emergency reporting system, initiating a false report, being a felon in possession of a restricted weapon, reckless driving and three counts of recklessly endangering another person. He is being held in the Douglas County Jail.

His bail is set at $100,000 for the attempting to elude charge.

React to this story:


Crime and Natural Resources Reporter

Saphara Harrell is the crime and natural resources reporter for The News-Review. She previously worked at The World in Coos Bay. Follow her on Twitter @daisysaphara.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.