On Sept. 29, 2015, Chris Harper-Mercer purchased two textbooks for his Writing 115 class from the Umpqua Community College campus bookstore and, at 10 a.m., attended his first writing class in Snyder Hall, Room 15.

The following day, he attended his first day of a theater production class, wrote a six-page manifesto on his home computer and spent the evening at home with his mother.

The day after that, he murdered nine people, injured eight and then shot himself.

Here’s the timeline of the tragic events that occurred Oct. 1, 2015. The details were released this morning as part of the Douglas County Sheriff’s Department’s investigative report:

9:38 a.m. to 10:37 a.m.

Harper-Mercer was spotted twice on surveillance video driving past the campus library in a blue Honda CRV. He was late for his 10 a.m. writing class. At some time between 9:42 a.m., the second time his car was spotted, and 10:37 a.m., when he entered the Snyder 15 classroom, Harper-Mercer entered the men’s restroom in Snyder Hall. He deposited two things in a bathroom stall — a plastic grocery bag containing two writing textbooks and a brown canvas duffel bag. In the bag were one military style flak jacket, a pair of black gloves and a Del-Ton DTI15 rifle.

10:37 to 10:38 a.m.

Harper-Mercer entered Snyder 15, fired one shot in the air and forced the teacher and his fellow students to get on the ground. He singled out a male student and gave him an envelope containing a thumb drive. Harper-Mercer told the student he wouldn’t shoot him, but didn’t allow him to leave the room.

Kim Dietz, a student in Snyder 16 entered the Snyder 15 classroom and was immediately shot. She returned to her classmates in Snyder 16. They barred their classroom door and tried to help her.

10:38 a.m.

A 9-1-1 call was placed from Snyder 16.

The suspect began randomly shooting students and the teacher in Snyder 15.

Students in nearby classrooms began evacuating the building.

Chris Mintz, a student in Snyder 14, set off an emergency alarm and ran back to Snyder 15 and 16 to wave away nearby students.

Harper-Mercer stepped out of Snyder 15 and shot Mintz in front of the classroom doors. He then returned to Snyder 15 and continued shooting students there.

10:44 a.m.

Roseburg Police Department Detective Sergeant Joe Kaney and Detective Todd Spingath arrived at Snyder Hall. Harper-Mercer left the classroom and began shooting at the officers as they approached the building.

10:46 a.m.

Kaney and Springath returned fire. Harper-Mercer was shot once by one of the detectives. (The wound was later determined not to be fatal.)

Harper-Mercer returned to Snyder 15, laid down on the floor at the front of the classroom and fatally shot himself in the head.

10:47 a.m.

The Roseburg Police Department and Kaney reported “one male down,” and the detectives began helping the injured survivors.

10:48 a.m.

Emergency medical staff entered Snyder 15 and 16 and began treating the wounded survivors.

The report verified that nine victims — Dietz, Larry Levine, Lucero Alcaraz, Treven Anspach, Rebecka Carnes, Quinn Cooper, Lucas Eibel, Jason Johnson and Sarena Moore — were killed in the shooting.

It clarifies that eight — Mintz, Julie Woodworth, Amber McMurtrey, Tracy Heu, Anastasia Boylan, Tenea Laverne, Rand McGowan, and an unnamed juvenile — were wounded. The juvenile was already known to be Cheyeanne Fitzgerald, 16.

There were also four uninjured survivors — Lacey Scroggins, Kortney Moore, Mathew Downing and David Coder.

Harper-Mercer had a number of weapons with him that day. In Snyder 15, he used a .40 caliber Taurus pistol and a 9 mm Glock pistol. He carried three other weapons into the classroom, but left them inside of a backpack. Those included a .40 caliber Smith & Wesson pistol, a .38 caliber Smith and Wesson pistol and a .380 caliber HiPoint pistol. He left the 4.46 mm Del-Ton DTI15 rifle in the bathroom.

A toxicology report showed that he was not on any illegal substances or prescription drugs at the time of the shooting.

According to Douglas County Communications, the average number of calls in a normal October is between 750 and 800 per day. On Oct. 1, 2015, they received 1,200 calls. Of those, 401 were received between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m.

Reporter Carisa Cegavske can be reached at 541-957-4213 or ccegavske@nrtoday.com.

React to this story:


Senior Reporter

Carisa Cegavske is the senior reporter for The News-Review. She can be reached at ccegavske@nrtoday.com or 541-957-4213. Follow her on Twitter @carisa_cegavske

(1) comment


Horrible thing to happen and committed by a horrible person. I couldn't read the time line sorry just too much.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.