The U.S. Supreme Court has denied an attempt by the Trump administration to have the climate trial brought by 21 young plaintiffs halted, reaffirming the Oct. 29 court date.
In an order dated July 30, the court wrote that “The Government’s request for relief is premature and is denied without prejudice. The breadth of respondents’ claims is striking, however, and the justiciability of those claims presents substantial grounds for difference of opinion.”
The ruling is the latest in a series of attempts by the Trump administration to have the trial canceled.
Earlier this month, the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals denied a second petition by the defendants to have the case dropped, stating that no new circumstances justified the second petition.
The plaintiffs claim the federal government knew about climate change for decades but continued to promote fossil fuel production. They are asking the Trump administration to institute a national science-based climate recovery program.
In a press release, Julia Olson, an attorney for the plaintiffs, said the decision should give young people hope that the third branch of government has given them the green light to go to trial.
“We look forward to presenting the scientific evidence of the harms and dangers these children face as a result of the actions their government has taken to cause the climate crisis,” Olson said.
Editor’s Note: One of the plaintiffs in the lawsuit is the son of senior reporter Carisa Cegavske.