Rose Villa fire

Roseburg Fire Department Lt. Cimeron Kormendi wheels a woman over a hose to a waiting paramedic after a fire at the Rose Villa Apartments on Tuesday afternoon. The woman was checked and released on the scene as a precaution.

A fire started in one of the units at the Rose Villa Apartments after a tenant left a frying pan unattended in the 2000 block of Northeast Stephens Street Tuesday afternoon.

Firefighters from the Roseburg Fire Department responded to the apartment fire around 3 p.m. and found heavy smoke and flames showing inside of an apartment.

Firefighters checked the structure for occupants and quickly extinguished the fire, according to Fire Marshal Monte Bryan.

John Dow, the tenant whose apartment caught fire, said the incident began as a grease fire while he was cooking french fries in his apartment.

He hadn’t been inside to see the damage and sat with fellow residents in the grass while firefighters dragged hoses into the building.

Dow said the smoke was bad, but when he saw the fire it was still only about two feet wide.

Fire officials said the fire was contained to the kitchen, but the building sustained approximately $10,000 in damage.

Saphara Harrell can be reached at 541-957-4216 or

React to this story:


Crime and Natural Resources Reporter

Saphara Harrell is the crime and natural resources reporter for The News-Review. She previously worked at The World in Coos Bay. Follow her on Twitter @daisysaphara.

(2) comments


Splatter screen.


A brain.

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.