161030-nrr-spiderbite-01

Fisher holds up her elbow where doctors say she was bitten by a poisonous spider, most likely a hobo.

A Roseburg woman is recovering from an apparent spider bite that exterminators say was most likely from a hobo spider.

Molly Fisher was in her home north of Roseburg with her 11-month-old baby, when she experienced the bite on her elbow. She didn’t think much about it, so she didn’t go to seek medical help right away. In a few days though, the bite area started to swell, and she nearly lost her arm because of it.

“We just move into our house a couple of months ago, and were doing some work outside. We had just come inside, when it bit me on the elbow,” Fisher said. “We tried finding the spider after that but never could.”

She watched the wound get gradually worse, and on the third day she said it had gotten very red and swollen. By the fourth day, it was about triple the size, so she went to the emergency room, to have it treated. It was quite an arduous process.

“I had to have it cut open three separate times to have it completely drained out,” Fisher said.

She had to have heavy antibiotics, and the arm was wrapped and packed with gauze. It had to be changed every day for about two-and-a-half weeks and she got very sick during that time, and couldn’t eat. She even had to go to the emergency room for intravenous fluid.

Even though it’s rare in this area, doctors think it was probably a hobo spider.

“It wasn’t venomous, so they’re thinking most likely it was a hobo spider,” she said. “From the bite, it just slowly turned into an infection. They’re pretty dirty spiders, so typically, that’s what happens with Hobo spider bites, it’ll turn into an infection like that,” she said.

Fisher said if you are bitten by the hobo spider, and don’t get the bite taken care of right away, it will typically turn into an infection.

“My infection almost went up into my armpit, and I could have lost my arm. That’s worst case scenario, but yeah, I could have,” she said.

Molly’s is very thankful it wasn’t her baby who was bitten, because it would have been much tougher for her to recover.

“If it had been her and not me, I don’t know what would have happened. I’m thankful it was me and not her. But you definitely should get your house sprayed during this time of year because they do come inside,” she said.

Brandon Chytka of Chytka Pest Control in Roseburg, who was called to spray the house, said they have never seen a hobo spider in more than 30 years in the business. But all indications are that the spider was a hobo.

“It’s always scenarios like this that remind us that they are here,” Chytka said. “Just be more aware. They’re are out there, they’re not real common but don’t let a bug bite go without keeping a close eye on it.”

Chytka said it’s just a normal spray to get rid of the spiders so it’s a pretty simple procedure, and you can even buy it over the counter.

Fisher said she is on her way to full recovery after going through the horrible experience, with lots of treatments and antibiotics, and she hopes this will be a wake-up call for others to be mindful of bug bites.

“Chytka Pest Control has been absolutely amazing,” said Fisher. “They’re amazing people and they’re all about educating the community.”

Fisher has just finished her last antibiotics and appears to be well on the road to recovery, but it was a tough road, and could have turned out a lot worse.

Reporter Dan Bain can be reached at 541-957-4221 or e-mail at dbain@nrtoday.com.

React to this story:

0
0
0
0
0

Reporter

Dan Bain is the health reporter for The News-Review. He previously worked at KPIC and 541 Radio.

(2) comments

Mscott

I remember working for a Pest Control company. Always geting calls from misinformed customers claiming they have hobo spiders. When arriving they are only a common Funnel Spider (grass spider) or even confused with a WOLF spider. Regardless of the spider I did a chemical treatment and killed all the spiders. Information is power. Many misinformed people in this area.

reece

the pest control people are correct. they are rare in this area, but they are here. not like the Salem area, where unfortunately, very common. hobo's(a.k.a.) "giant aggressive house spider". can grow to intimidating size, can resist water, so if you wash them down the sink/toilet, they can crawl back up. they are aggressive(unlike brown recluse),fast, but don't jump. they biggest issue is they don't do common webs, so your not going to see them just around like a "daddy long legs"(that are not an issue, comparatively). they will access home through ducting and seek refuge in a laundry pile. that's where most people will get bit(knees in pants or this story elbow). where you will see them is where the wall meets ceiling or floor. you will know it when you see them, very efficient. built like a porche. they do not back down from a fight. the bite is painless, but very serious, as this lady found out.
I had a painter/friend who poured a copper solution mix, around the house and never scene again. whish I knew exactly what it was that he used. happy Halloween !

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.