A Roseburg woman is recovering from an apparent spider bite that exterminators say was most likely from a hobo spider.
Molly Fisher was in her home north of Roseburg with her 11-month-old baby, when she experienced the bite on her elbow. She didn’t think much about it, so she didn’t go to seek medical help right away. In a few days though, the bite area started to swell, and she nearly lost her arm because of it.
“We just move into our house a couple of months ago, and were doing some work outside. We had just come inside, when it bit me on the elbow,” Fisher said. “We tried finding the spider after that but never could.”
She watched the wound get gradually worse, and on the third day she said it had gotten very red and swollen. By the fourth day, it was about triple the size, so she went to the emergency room, to have it treated. It was quite an arduous process.
“I had to have it cut open three separate times to have it completely drained out,” Fisher said.
She had to have heavy antibiotics, and the arm was wrapped and packed with gauze. It had to be changed every day for about two-and-a-half weeks and she got very sick during that time, and couldn’t eat. She even had to go to the emergency room for intravenous fluid.
Even though it’s rare in this area, doctors think it was probably a hobo spider.
“It wasn’t venomous, so they’re thinking most likely it was a hobo spider,” she said. “From the bite, it just slowly turned into an infection. They’re pretty dirty spiders, so typically, that’s what happens with Hobo spider bites, it’ll turn into an infection like that,” she said.
Fisher said if you are bitten by the hobo spider, and don’t get the bite taken care of right away, it will typically turn into an infection.
“My infection almost went up into my armpit, and I could have lost my arm. That’s worst case scenario, but yeah, I could have,” she said.
Molly’s is very thankful it wasn’t her baby who was bitten, because it would have been much tougher for her to recover.
“If it had been her and not me, I don’t know what would have happened. I’m thankful it was me and not her. But you definitely should get your house sprayed during this time of year because they do come inside,” she said.
Brandon Chytka of Chytka Pest Control in Roseburg, who was called to spray the house, said they have never seen a hobo spider in more than 30 years in the business. But all indications are that the spider was a hobo.
“It’s always scenarios like this that remind us that they are here,” Chytka said. “Just be more aware. They’re are out there, they’re not real common but don’t let a bug bite go without keeping a close eye on it.”
Chytka said it’s just a normal spray to get rid of the spiders so it’s a pretty simple procedure, and you can even buy it over the counter.
Fisher said she is on her way to full recovery after going through the horrible experience, with lots of treatments and antibiotics, and she hopes this will be a wake-up call for others to be mindful of bug bites.
“Chytka Pest Control has been absolutely amazing,” said Fisher. “They’re amazing people and they’re all about educating the community.”
Fisher has just finished her last antibiotics and appears to be well on the road to recovery, but it was a tough road, and could have turned out a lot worse.