A curling iron left on a pile of clothing caused a Monday afternoon fire, according to Douglas County Fire District No. 2.
At approximately 3:45 p.m., crews from the fire district were dispatched to a two-story garage unit, which had been converted into a bedroom in the 5600 block of Roberts Creek Road, Roseburg. When crews arrived, they found the structure with flames coming from the eaves and heavy black smoke billowing into the air.
Firefighters greeted the lone occupant of the structure in the driveway before working to extinguish the blaze.
Fire Marshal Ray Shoufler said the power to the structure had been shut off while some work was being done to the main power supply, but that the power had been restored about an hour before the fire was discovered.
The occupant reported the fire after she woke up to the smell of smoke during a nap. The occupant told firefighters that a curling iron had been left plugged in and was lying on a pile of clothing when the power was restored.
Shoufler said it's important to keep all heat sources at least 3 feet from any combustible materials such as paper, furniture, bedding or clothing.
The district was assisted by the Winston Dillard Fire District, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office and Pacific Power and Light.